Tune Your Body For Optimal Health
To keep your body in optimal condition it's important to go to the doctor often for routine health screenings. But how frequent is "often?" Read on for a timeline of when to get certain screenings (cancer, cholesterol, blood pressure, etc ), resources on reproductive health, and help with overcoming addiction.
Cancer Screening Timeline
*if you have family history, genetic disorders, or have risk factors.
**Find out if you are at higher than average risk.
***At 55 years old you should talk to your doctor about getting tested, even if you are not a smoker or quit smoking within the past 15 years.
For information on how to do a self check breast exam, go here.
For information on how to do a self check testicular exam, go here.
Taking Care of your Blood Pressure
You can monitor your blood pressure with at home measures. Mayo Clinic tells you how. Blood pressure classifications:
|Classification||Systolic Reading (mm Hg)||Diastolic Reading (mm Hg)|
|Normal||less than 120||and||less than 80|
|Stage 2||Greater than or equal to 160||or||Greater than or equal to 100|
HDL - the "good" cholesterol
- should be 60mg/dL or higher
- less than 40 mg/dL for men is too low
LDL - the one you want less of
|Less than 150 mg/dL||optimal|
Triglycerides - lower numbers are better
|Less than 150 mg/dL||normal|
- Make sure to get STI testing every 6 months (if sexually active) or with each new partner.
- The most common symptom of an STI is no symptom, making it even more important to get checked.
- Hormonal birth control methods only reduce the chance of pregnancy; they don't prevent STIs! Make sure to use protection.
- To learn more about vaginal health, go here.
Drinking Alcohol Responsibly
The only thing that can sober you up is time! Even if you don't "feel" drunk, your BAC could be too high for safe driving.
What is a standard drink?
1 standard drink is any drink that contains about 14 grams of pure alcohol. The size of a standard drink depends on the proof. Below is a table of standard drink equivalents at various sizes of drinks.
Standard Drink Equivalent (and % alcohol)
Approximate number of standard drinks
|Malt liquor (7%)||
|table wine (12%)||25oz=5|
|80 proof spirits (40%)||
mixed drink=1 or more
Tips For Drinking Responsibly
- eat before and while you drink
- stay with the same group of friends for the entire time out
- don't drink before the party, or at all if you feel down or upset
- HAVE NO MORE THAN ONE ALCOHOLIC DRINK PER HOUR
- alternate between alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks
- set limits on how much to have before you start drinking
- don't drink and drive
To learn about alcohol poisoning, go here.